Холиварофорум

Не все, что говорят на Холиварке — правда!

Вы не вошли.

#1 2021-12-26 21:16:46

Анон

English thread

Let's chat in English, dear anonymous! You can write about everything here, regardless of your level.

Your English level is…

1. A1(голосов 7 [3.74%])

3.74%

2. A2(голосов 10 [5.35%])

5.35%

3. B1(голосов 25 [13.37%])

13.37%

4. B2(голосов 56 [29.95%])

29.95%

5. C1(голосов 61 [32.62%])

32.62%

6. C2(голосов 28 [14.97%])

14.97%

Всего голосов: 187

Гости не могут голосовать

#126 2021-12-27 02:54:41

Анон

Re: English thread

Анон пишет:

I think I saw people on FFA who're learning Russian or are interested in something Russian. Will they be able to register here if I give them the link to this thread, what do you think?  Or there is a Cyrillic keyboard needed or something?

I just checked from incognito mode, you can change russian to english at the bottom of the page including login. But only for service text obviously. I guess, you could try? It could be a fun experience for both parties.

#127 2021-12-27 03:00:19

Анон

Анон пишет:

I was always told that it's like the one and only true evaluation of your English level but is it tho?

I think the concept itself is really outdated and meh, especially for how much money they charge you, and it can theoretically be worth it only when you're applying to uni - but only because there's no other way lol. The structure of these exams is the worst thing ever and it makes no sense you have to work on it and not on your language skills.

Отредактировано (2021-12-27 03:00:45)

#128 2021-12-27 03:02:11

Анон

Анон пишет:

I think I saw people on FFA who're learning Russian or are interested in something Russian.

That would be splendid :newyear:

Анон пишет:

Or there is a Cyrillic keyboard needed or something?

Nope.

Анон пишет:

Huh, speaking of, did any of you take TOEFL or IELTS? Was it worth it?

I took the Cambridge test for employment reasons. It was... fun.

Анон пишет:

I think it's bullshit. These exams are so formalized that even natives need special training to pass them adequately. They're kinda not unlike ЕГЭ - you need not as much knowledge as a training in passing ЕГЭ.

If you're familiar with the basic structure of ЕГЭ/ЗНО/SAT/whatever, you'll have no trouble passing a language proficiency test.

#129 2021-12-27 03:10:00

Анон

Анон пишет:

The structure of these exams is the worst thing ever and it makes no sense you have to work on it and not on your language skills.

Yeah, their vocabulary lists are absolutely ridiculous. It just so happens that I know most of these words (native speakers often don't) because of my extensive reading - but are my language skills close to theirs? Hahaha, not even funny.

#130 2021-12-27 03:21:01

Анон

Sometimes I feel it's way easier to convey my thoughts in english than in russian. That's a shame though...

#131 2021-12-27 03:31:07

Анон

Анон пишет:

Sometimes I feel it's way easier to convey my thoughts in english than in russian. That's a shame though...

Sometimes I feel like this too but it's mostly because I feel more detached when writing in English. It's not as close and emotional as writing in Russian and easier because of this. It's the same phenomenon, I think, as when you swear in foreign languages - you can be much more foul-mouthed without feeling any embarrassment because foreign swear words don't have any real emotional load. They're like toy swear words, you know intellectually what they mean and what they are, but they're not nearly as dirty and insulting as swear words of your native language.

#132 2021-12-27 03:31:27

Анон

I believe English helps me with a blank page syndrome, you can shut up your inner perfectionist with "nah, this draft is not cringey, it's just in another language! I can translate it into Russian and it would sound totally fine, r-right?" and you also feel a bit more detached from your work.

#133 2021-12-27 03:37:08

Анон

Анон пишет:

Sometimes I feel like this too but it's mostly because I feel more detached when writing in English

Probably? It's just when I think about it in english it sounds like "this is exactly what I mean, it should be crystal clear to you", but since it mostly happens on russian platforms that's not an option. And in russian my argument doesn't sound as concise and, well, argumentative so there's a need for elaboration, and it becomes even more awkward and what's even the point.

#134 2021-12-27 03:40:27

Анон

Анон пишет:

It's the same phenomenon, I think, as when you swear in foreign languages

Oh, anon, you reminded me about another Russian studying foreigner. It is the adorable Chinese girl Yang Ge  :love:

#135 2021-12-27 03:43:59

Анон

A real question though: how good are the mods at English and can you violate the rules in English without being noticed? :evil:

#136 2021-12-27 03:45:43

Анон

Анон пишет:

Sometimes I feel like this too but it's mostly because I feel more detached when writing in English.

Анон пишет:

I believe English helps me with a blank page syndrome, you can shut up your inner perfectionist

Yeah, that's why I keep my diary in English. Nothing is too trivial or too intimate if you write it in foreign language.

Анон пишет:

I think, as when you swear in foreign languages - you can be much more foul-mouthed without feeling any embarrassment because foreign swear words don't have any real emotional load.

I call it "conscience speaks to you in your language". Not that I think swear words to be a great sin, but still, there are barriers. And it makes a difference when you ask another about help, favour, justice, whatever that implies empathy. It's much easier to distance oneself in a foreign language even if you know it perfectly.

Отредактировано (2021-12-27 03:50:42)

#137 2021-12-27 03:45:58

Анон

Анон пишет:

A real question though: how good are the mods at English and can you violate the rules in English without being noticed? :evil:

Do you think they can’t use google translate?  O_o

#138 2021-12-27 03:47:17

Анон

There's about three swear words in english, I don't know what y'all talking about

#139 2021-12-27 03:48:24

Анон

Анон пишет:

And in russian my argument doesn't sound as concise and, well, argumentative so there's a need for elaboration, and it becomes even more awkward and what's even the point.

That's probably because you cannot do justice to your argument in English because you just don't know the language as well as your own.

Отредактировано (2021-12-27 03:51:51)

#140 2021-12-27 03:50:52

Анон

Анон пишет:

That's probably because you cannot do justice to your argument in English because you just don't know the language as well as your own.

Less "water" the better, no? It's not like the demagogy is always a mean to an end

#141 2021-12-27 03:52:39

Анон

Анон пишет:

foreign swear words don't have any real emotional load

True. I always use English "fuck" irl when I'm annoyed but I never use any Russian curse words.

#142 2021-12-27 03:53:01

Анон

Анон пишет:

But we who know it shall report :evil: Mwahaha

#143 2021-12-27 03:53:59

Анон

Анон пишет:

There's about three swear words in english, I don't know what y'all talking about

I think you can include words like ‘bitch’, ‘shit’ ‘whore’ and so on in this list. Like, we have also only 4 words in Russian, which can  be precisely called ‘мат’, but still a lot of ‘бранные слова’.

#144 2021-12-27 03:55:09

Анон

Анон пишет:

There’re much more swear words in English.

#145 2021-12-27 03:56:57

Анон

Анон пишет:

Less "water" the better, no? It's not like the demagogy is always a mean to an end

Well, that may be a reason to you, to be more concise in a language you're not as sure of as your own. And it may seem that shorter sentences and shorter words make your expression somehow more concrete. But English speakers are as proficient in using water as anybody else.

Отредактировано (2021-12-27 04:03:02)

#146 2021-12-27 03:57:54

Анон

Анон пишет:
Анон пишет:

There’re much more swear words in English.

The next stop will be a request to translate четыреждыблядская пиздопроебина into English, I feel it :hat:

#147 2021-12-27 03:59:13

Анон

Анон пишет:

I believe English helps me with a blank page syndrome, you can shut up your inner perfectionist with "nah, this draft is not cringey, it's just in another language! I can translate it into Russian and it would sound totally fine, r-right?" and you also feel a bit more detached from your work.

It's the same for me! The only thing that somehow got me out of writer's block was writing in English, it really did become easier to have this distance between myself and what I'm writing. But then it made everything even more complicated, because now I literally can't write and/or express my feelings in Russian, it feels too lame and too personal :lol:

#148 2021-12-27 04:01:44

Анон

Анон пишет:

Anon please...

#149 2021-12-27 04:02:45

Анон

Анон пишет:

четыреждыблядская пиздопроебина

Quadruple whore’s cuntfuck  :lol:

#150 2021-12-27 04:07:16

Анон

Анон пишет:

Quadruple

Sounds too academic, considering the context...

Подвал форума

Основано на FluxBB, с модификациями Visman
Доработано специально для Холиварофорума