Холиварофорум

Не все, что говорят на Холиварке — правда!

Вы не вошли.

#1 2021-12-26 21:16:46

Анон

English thread

Let's chat in English, dear anonymous! You can write about everything here, regardless of your level.

Your English level is…

1. A1(голосов 7 [3.74%])

3.74%

2. A2(голосов 10 [5.35%])

5.35%

3. B1(голосов 25 [13.37%])

13.37%

4. B2(голосов 56 [29.95%])

29.95%

5. C1(голосов 61 [32.62%])

32.62%

6. C2(голосов 28 [14.97%])

14.97%

Всего голосов: 187

Гости не могут голосовать

#501 2021-12-30 21:03:27

Анон

Re: English thread

Анон пишет:

I think people usually call Russian accent scary, which is also cool  ;D

Well, Red’s accent in Orange is the new black sounds really scary.

#502 2021-12-30 22:03:44

Анон

Анон пишет:
Анон пишет:

I think people usually call Russian accent scary, which is also cool  ;D

Well, Red’s accent in Orange is the new black sounds really scary.

Dunno, Russian accent in American movies doesn't even sound Russian to me. Probably because Russians are often played by Serbs, Lithuanians, Finns and whoever but only not actual Russians (or some emigrant descendants who know a total of three words in Russian). So it's either some South Slavic accent or some exaggerated fake monstrosity. Russians I know and I heard speaking in English don't talk like that.

#503 2021-12-30 22:25:16

Анон

Анон пишет:

Probably courtesy of Marivanna, a spherical English teacher in a vacuum, who criticized everything and installed the thought that you must speak perfectly before you dare to open your mouth etc.

My very own Marivanna (at college, though, not at school) gave me absolute hell about my intonation.

I tend to raise the tone at the end of a sentence (I do it both in Russian and in English), so my indicative sentences sound slightly quizzical and to her, for some reason, it was an absolute no-no. I had to do additional exercises specifically for intonation, and she even tested me on it at the exam.

Just, why, gah? It wasn't even a class on phonetics, just your usual Language Practice course.  :sadcat:

#504 2021-12-30 22:25:42

Анон

Анон пишет:

Do you think it's important to get rid of the Russian accent?

Once I went to a lecture by David Crystal, an English linguist specializing in the development of English, the global English etc. (he wrote a number of popular books on various aspects of English, btw - spelling, accents, punctuation, etc.) - he was visiting Saint Petersburg. And at the end, during question time, someone asked him about getting rid of the Russian English accent. And he said something like "Why should you? The world is full of Englishes - Australian English, South African English, Indian English etc., and Russian English has as much right to exist as any of these". I remember being very startled by this answer, but I kept thinking about this and by now I think I agree with him...

#505 2021-12-30 22:39:14

Анон

Анон пишет:

Absolutely yes, it sucks

#506 2021-12-30 22:41:56

Анон

Анон пишет:

Absolutely yes, it sucks

Perhaps yours does, mine is pretty charming.

#507 2021-12-30 22:48:41

Анон

Анон пишет:
Анон пишет:

Absolutely yes, it sucks

Perhaps yours does, mine is pretty charming.

That's the spirit! :rainbow:

#508 2021-12-31 02:07:12

Анон

Анон пишет:

Nope. Even hollywood actors like Penelope Cruz or UN officials like Kofi Annan have a noticable accent. Accent is part of you identity. Besides, there are numerous English accents - scouse, mancunian, ebonics, etc.

#509 2021-12-31 09:39:25

Анон

Анон пишет:

Accent is part of you identity.

Oh, really? I successfully got rid of my Russian dialectal accent (okanye), and I would be more that happy to get rid of my Russian accent in English. Thank Goodness, I have other things to build my identity upon.

#510 2021-12-31 10:40:42

Анон

Huh, I wish I had more of okanye in my normal speech (I am from one of the parts of Russia where it used to be prominent). I think it sounds really beautiful, but as of now, it only resurfaces when I speak in an angry or agitated tone.

To each their own though, if being a Northener or Russian is something you hate, then, of course it would make sense to erase the corresponding elements from your speech.

#511 2021-12-31 10:52:09

Анон

Анон пишет:

Thank Goodness, I have other things to build my identity upon.

Like how you think that you're better than others?  :troll:

#512 2021-12-31 11:28:38

Анон

Анон пишет:

Like how you think that you're better than others?  :troll:

I just hate when someone tells me what things are part of my identity and what things are not. It looks quite manipulative: "If you was born Russian, you have to speak English like a Russian! Don't you even try to hide your true identity!". I don't like when someone try and manipulate me.

#513 2021-12-31 11:34:35

Анон

Анон пишет:

If you was born Russian, you have to speak English like a Russian!

It seems to be a somewhat similar kind of that bullshit:

When talking about Russian-accented English in movies, we can be dealing with one of two things: a Russian character speaking English as a second language, or a Russian character speaking Russian-accented English as a cipher for speaking Russian. The former is a scenario that actually occurs in reality, the second is an artificial construct.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/red-sparr … e-accents/

#514 2021-12-31 13:41:22

Анон

Анон пишет:

Accent is part of you identity.

Nooe, it's not, can you imagine? I am a linguist and a good imitator, I can mirror any accent in any language I speak about ten minutes in conversation, and I am proud of my skills. I also prefer sound like a native wherever I travel because it easiest the communication. Part of my identity is "being able to sound whichever I want to", not "being forever labeled as been born in a shitty country which for my whole life tells me I shouldn't exist".

#515 2021-12-31 14:04:22

Анон

Анон пишет:

Part of my identity is "being able to sound whichever I want to", not "being forever labeled as been born in a shitty country which for my whole life tells me I shouldn't exist".

Oh, I think I saw you at FFA before, hope you have a great New Year, nonnie, with as little Russia around you as possible.  :heart:

#516 2021-12-31 14:09:34

Анон

Анон пишет:

I also prefer sound like a native wherever I travel because it easiest the communication.

If you talk like this, you won't be mistaken for a native.

#517 2021-12-31 14:10:43

Анон

I just have received a parcel from Russian Post and am going home to open it!

#518 2021-12-31 14:18:03

Анон

Анон пишет:

, I think I saw you at FFA before

Nope, not me, I've heard about FFA first time here. But that's not so rare a skill :) and no so rare a state for Russia which always was good in erasing unwanted people. I probably should get to FFA, tho, sounds like a fun place.
Thanks for the wishes, all the best for you, too!

#519 2021-12-31 14:20:15

Анон

Анон пишет:

If you talk like this, you won't be mistaken for a native.

Ha! No, when I talk, my autocorrection doesn't interfere  :) it was meant to be "easies the communication", naturally.
And if you're so keen on nitpicking the obvious typos, you won't be mistaken for good communicator anywhere  :trollface:

Отредактировано (2021-12-31 14:20:29)

#520 2021-12-31 14:21:40

Анон

Have you already decorated the new year tree?

#521 2021-12-31 14:29:37

Анон

Анон пишет:

Have you already decorated the new year tree?

Yep. I posted photos in New Year celebrating thread.

#522 2021-12-31 14:34:54

Анон

I'm taking a flight to another city in a few hours to celebrate the New Year with my family. They have set up the tree, but I haven't seen it yet.

My aunt promised to make a bucket of Olivier just for me, I'm soooo looking forward to it, omg.

#523 2021-12-31 22:54:26

Анон

Every time I met some guy named Olivier online I ask him "Are you a salad by any chance?" because I'm an idiot😌

#524 2021-12-31 23:20:28

Анон

Анон пишет:

Every time I met some guy named Olivier online I ask him "Are you a salad by any chance?" because I'm an idiot😌

Do you know about that French composer, Olivier Messiaen, btw?

#525 2021-12-31 23:34:33

Анон

Guys,  оливье in English is Russian salad

Подвал форума

Основано на FluxBB, с модификациями Visman
Доработано специально для Холиварофорума